Ep. 0: Introducing Dr. Deborah Burton
Welcome to the first episode of Dr. Momma Says, a new podcast designed to share timeless tips on parenting and healthcare.
Dr. Deborah Burton is the host and will base the weekly episodes on her nearly 30 years of experience as a physician and raising two successful millennial daughters.
When listening to someone speak on a topic, it is important to understand who they are, which will help you to understand why they have developed their opinions. Listen in as you better understand who Dr. Deborah Burton is and why she is so passionate about sharing her knowledge about parenting and healthcare with you.
Dr. Deborah Burton’s Background summary:
1. Youngest of 4 children
2. Born and raised in New England
3. Moved to Maryland/DC area in junior high school
4. Received a Bachelor degree in Biology from the University of Delaware (where she met her hubby, Clay)
5. Received US Army Scholarship to attend Temple University Medical School, where she graduated with honors
6. Internship training at Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii
7. Otolaryngology (Ear Nose and Throat) residency at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC
8. Pediatric Otolaryngology fellowship at San Deigo Children’s Hospital in San Diego, California
9. Chief of Pediatric Otolaryngology Service at Brook Army Medical Center in San Antonio Texas
Parenthood and Career Changes
10. Delivered two beautiful baby girls in Texas before leaving active duty Army service
11. In 1995, joined a large private practice in Atlanta, Georgia. The work/ life balance struggle truly began and continued on a daily basis.
12. In 2001, opened a solo private practice and became an official BOSS BABE! (www.akidsent.com)
13. With 26 years of on the job parent training, Dr. Burton has earned a Ph.D. in Parenting!
14. Launched both girls to the Georgia Institute of Technology on full scholarships.
The Empty Nest and Self-Reflection
15. But then, the empty nest syndrome allowed boredom to creep in; consequently, it was a struggle to stay out of the daily life of young adult daughters.
16. In 2016, officially acknowledged she had become addicted to mom life! To personally help in weaning to back to her life, she started blogging (www.MommaAddict.com) as a way to share parenting reflections and keep busy. This became a valuable outlet.
17. Like every other parent, Dr. Burton had made decisions without knowing the ultimate impact; consequently, this was the time to truly assess if good choices had been made. It was extremely eye opening and it was difficult to acknowledge some things, let alone share it with the rest of the world!
18. After one year, rebranded the blog in 2017 to become the current DrMommaSays which better addresses the mission of providing timeless tips about parenting and healthcare. Yes, the reflections are a major part of the current blog, but they are more clearly intended to help others. (Not just helping her to move on)
19. Now with nearly 2 years of an online presence, building the blog and growing social media followers, Dr. Deborah Burton (me!) has set her sites on becoming a true content creator! This podcast is just the next step. Stay tuned for YouTube, ebook and potentially an App that will round out the DrMommaSays portfolio.
The rest is unwritten…
So happy you decided to check out my first podcast episode and hope you come back to listen again soon. The podcast format will initially just be me sharing tips and my experiences, but once I improve my technical skills, I plan to dazzle you with interviews with fellow physicians, healthcare workers, and parents.
As always, much love for supporting my work. I intend to launch new episodes every week, but may periodically produce bonus episodes. So, be sure to subscribe to iTunes or subscribe to my blog to be notified. You KNOW you do not want to miss an episode!
Also, you may reach out to me on the contact page to send comments, show topics or questions. You can also send requests to be a future guest, work with me, or sponsor an episode!
**If you have not done so yet, I would LOVE for you to visit iTunes and leave me a 5-star rating so that I can continue to gain traction and grow this podcast. I greatly appreciate your support!**