Ep. 0: Introducing Dr. Deborah Burton
Welcome to the first episode of Dr. Momma Says, a new podcast designed to share timeless tips on parenting and healthcare.
Dr. Deborah Burton is the host and will base the weekly episodes on her nearly 30 years of experience as a physician and raising two successful millennial daughters.
When listening to someone speak on a topic, it is important to understand who they are, which will help you to understand why they have developed their opinions. Listen in as you better understand who Dr. Deborah Burton is and why she is so passionate about sharing her knowledge about parenting and healthcare with you.
Dr. Deborah Burton’s Background summary:
1. Youngest of 4 children
2. Born and raised in New England
3. Moved to Maryland/DC area in junior high school
4. Received a Bachelor degree in Biology from the University of Delaware (where she met her hubby, Clay)
5. Received US Army Scholarship to attend Temple University Medical School, where she graduated with honors
6. Internship training at Tripler Army Medical Center in Honolulu, Hawaii
7. Otolaryngology (Ear Nose and Throat) residency at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington, DC
8. Pediatric Otolaryngology fellowship at San Deigo Children’s Hospital in San Diego, California
9. Chief of Pediatric Otolaryngology Service at Brook Army Medical Center in San Antonio Texas
Parenthood and Career Changes
10. Delivered two beautiful baby girls in Texas before leaving active duty Army service
11. In 1995, joined a large private practice in Atlanta, Georgia. The work/ life balance struggle truly began and continued on a daily basis.
12. In 2001, opened a solo private practice and became an official BOSS BABE! (www.akidsent.com)
13. With 26 years of on the job parent training, Dr. Burton has earned a Ph.D. in Parenting!
14. Launched both girls to the Georgia Institute of Technology on full scholarships.
The Empty Nest and Self-Reflection
15. But then, the empty nest syndrome allowed boredom to creep in; consequently, it was a struggle to stay out of the daily life of young adult daughters.
16. In 2016, officially acknowledged she had become addicted to mom life! To personally help in weaning to back to her life, she started blogging (www.MommaAddict.com) as a way to share parenting reflections and keep busy. This became a valuable outlet.
17. Like every other parent, Dr. Burton had made decisions without knowing the ultimate impact; consequently, this was the time to truly assess if good choices had been made. It was extremely eye opening and it was difficult to acknowledge some things, let alone share it with the rest of the world!
18. After one year, rebranded the blog in 2017 to become the current DrMommaSays which better addresses the mission of providing timeless tips about parenting and healthcare. Yes, the reflections are a major part of the current blog, but they are more clearly intended to help others. (Not just helping her to move on)
19. Now with nearly 2 years of an online presence, building the blog and growing social media followers, Dr. Deborah Burton (me!) has set her sites on becoming a true content creator! This podcast is just the next step. Stay tuned for YouTube, ebook and potentially an App that will round out the DrMommaSays portfolio.
The rest is unwritten…
So happy you decided to check out my first podcast episode and hope you come back to listen again soon. The podcast format will initially just be me sharing tips and my experiences, but once I improve my technical skills, I plan to dazzle you with interviews with fellow physicians, healthcare workers, and parents.
As always, much love for supporting my work. I intend to launch new episodes every week, but may periodically produce bonus episodes. So, be sure to subscribe to iTunes or subscribe to my blog to be notified. You KNOW you do not want to miss an episode!
Also, you may reach out to me on the contact page to send comments, show topics or questions. You can also send requests to be a future guest, work with me, or sponsor an episode!
**If you have not done so yet, I would LOVE for you to visit iTunes and leave me a 5-star rating so that I can continue to gain traction and grow this podcast. I greatly appreciate your support!**
I love this. Were you or your husband active duty (I only ask because I see that your residency was at Walter Reed). I’m an active duty USMC spouse just starting to blog! Keep it up Dr. Momma Says! <3
Yes! Both husband and I were active duty. I have been blogging for 2 years and now and 2 weeks into podcasting. Having a great time sharing lots of my experiences. Good luck with your blogging!
Found your blog/podcast at the right time! We hope to have a little one of our own soon so any tips and help we can pick up along the way are always a good find!
WooHoo! I definitely have lots of parenting and kids health tips. Two years of blogging and there are many topics that can help you understand what may be happening and can be used as a starting conversation with your physicians!
I am glad to have found your blog and podcast. I am a parent to a toddler and very interested in the view points of someone who is both a mom and a doctor!
I am happy to help share my knowledge. There are so many things coming that young moms don’t know about so my goal is to be a resource. Helping with understanding how to interact with healthcare and understand who is caring for your child as well as some tips for parenting in general. Welcome to the journey!
What an informative post/podcast – I learnt a lot! Any parenting tips come in useful…
So happy to share the information that I have learned over the years.
I always enjoy finding new podcasts. I am going to go subscribe now! Congrats on getting this off and running, I know it isn’t easy to do!
WooHoo! Thanks for checking it out and subscribing. I have new episodes every Wednesday and just scheduled the next one. If you enjoy it, feel free to leave me a 5-star rating or write a review. I also would love to hear your thoughts on topics or suggestions for future ones. Welcome.
What a great achievements! Maybe someday I’m the person that console my sickness 🙂 Thanks for sharing your Life background.
Thanks for checking it out. I think it is helpful to understand who I am as I share tips in the future.
Congrats on your first podcast! Did you work at the Bethesda Naval Hospital? My parents used that a lot when my dad was enlisted and after retirement for special treatment.
No, I was at Walter Reed Army Medical center up the street from Bethesda Naval. Loved working in DC.
It’s nice to know more about you. I’ll follow your work. Thanks for sharing!
Thanks so much for checking it out. I have new episodes every Wednesday so be sure to subscribe so that each new episode comes to you directly.
Congratulations on starting a podcast that is amazing! My fiancé and I are getting married in September and can’t wait to start having kids ASAP so I will be a frequent listener! ❤️
Congrats on your upcoming wedding. Your new life will be full of adventures and parenting can be overwhelming. Be sure to consider subscribing for tips that will be useful. I recently posted about understanding how to use the healthcare system, which is important for parents. Rushing to urgent care should be avoided and home care or visits to pediatrician should be your goal. Thanks for listening.
You GO, Mama! Love the rebranding of your blog as DrMommaSays and SO excited that you’re doing your podcasts now, too! You give all of us (including this late-bloomer mama) that it’s NEVER too late to take on new things and even rebrand ourselves – much as I love my current challenges in parenting, the girls’ eventual leaving the coop will just be the beginning of other new adventures! 🙂 You are my heroine! 🙂
Aww thank you so much! Parents spend all of our waking hours just trying to make the perfect decisions at the perfect time. We worry much more than we need to. I was there. And then the time was gone. This self-reflective time is the time I needed to recover myself and help other parents enjoy the moments and understand that there will NEVER be the right time or right decision. Just make all your choices with love and it works out. It did for me and I was certainly an on the job learner. I hope to be a resource you can look to for things that you may not yet know that you need. I am so happy you are following my journey. This is an exciting chapter for me.
Congratulations on your podcast! Sounds really interesting for anyone looking to improve itself and especially helpful for mothers and mothers to be.
I am so hopeful that parents will find value in the information that I am sharing!
Congratulations on putting together your first podcast. It just has to be so exciting doing that. I have thought of doing one. But I am impressed by what you have done for sure.
Thanks so much. I thought about launching for a year but finally said it is time. There is a learning curve no matter when you do it!
Congratulations on your blog and podcast. Finding a new podcast is really interesting and awesome, Thanks for sharing!
I am loving this podcast journey as I can talk about topics a bit easier than writing them. Hope you subscribe and follow my journey.